The Space Fiction Booklist
Version 0.1 (20 January 2023)

The idea behind this page is not to list every single possible manned space mission idea in science fiction; but those based on realistic technologies.

Some of these books came from Space Race Novels on Listmania!

Books

Red Moon
David S. Michaels and Daniel Brenton

Review: A flawed, but good novel dealing around the Soviet Moon Program. While the chapters set in the 1960s are very good, the ones set in the “present” of the future aren't as great; due to the rather wonky geopolitics of that world. The hero and villain of the novel were pretty memorable.

Space
James Michener

Notes: A sprawling epic that begins in the 1940s and ends around the early 1980s. The basic plot and characters are probably familiar to those who have read Michener's previous epics such as Chesapeake, Texas, Centennial, etc. For me however, it was my first Michener book, and I enjoyed it highly; as he got a lot of things pretty dead on.

Peter Nevsky and the True Story of the Russian Moon Landing
John Calvin Batchelor

Review: Reading this book quickly became a chore, because the writer wrote in a very unclear, highly technical style. When I say highly technical, I don't mean in the sense of “Roger, switch LCET to high gain.” but rather than using simple clear sentences and words to describe what is happening; the author used the most complex sentences he could. It's basically War and Peace.
Finally, the finale is only a few pages. It's the ultimate slap to the reader, because after slogging through hundreds of pages of excruciatingly complex prose, they get...not much really. Honestly, you are better off reading Red Moon by Michael Cassutt.

Red Moon
Michael Cassutt

Review: After Peter Nevsky, Red Moon was a breath of fresh air. Despite being laden with technical jargon as benefits a 'Space Race' novel, Cassutt's style is very easy to follow, and the finale of the novel was very satisfying.

Back to the Moon
Homer Hickam

Children of Apollo
Mark Whittington

No Man's World
Martin Caidin

The Tranquility Alternative
Allen Steele

Where Are The Russians
John Bentley

The Forge of Mars
Bruce Balfour

Titan
Stephen Baxter

Voyage
Stephen Baxter

Moonseed
Stephen Baxter

Autopsy for a Cosmonaut
Jacob Hay

Notes: Extra Gemini mission.

No Man's World
Martin Caidin

Killer Station
Martin Caidin

Shuttle Down
G. Harry Stine

The Throne of Saturn
Allen Drury

The Cape
Martin Caidin

Marooned / Marooned: A Novel
Martin Caidin

Notes: There are actually two versions of this novel. The first version uses Mercury and Gemini hardware and was published in 1964/65. The second is a rewritten version that uses Apollo hardware that was published in 1969.

Four Came Back
Martin Caidin

Abandon in Place
Jerry Oltion

Ice
Shane Johnson

The Pilgrim Project
Hank Searls